If you have tried visiting a nursing home in the past, or while searching for a suitable place for your senior loved ones, you might have noticed that some older adults enjoy staying in their bedrooms and are not interested in interacting with others. Based on statistics, 20% of the whole population are either introverts or loners. That is why, before you select a facility for aged care Gold Coast has for your ageing loved ones, you have to find out if they are introverts, extroverts, or simply loners.
As per Myers Briggs personality tests, there are two personality types that are widely known: Extroverts and introverts. This article will focus more on introverts as they are the ones that are often misunderstood. Do not assume that being an introvert means being shy because it is more than that. That is why when selecting a care facility for your aged seniors who are also introverts, select a facility for aged care Gold Coast wide that has trained personnel in handling introvert seniors or, at least, a facility that caters to both introverts and extrovert clients.
Caring for introverts are not that difficult as long as you remember these tips:
1. Privacy. Since they recharge their energies by spending time alone, make sure that the staff respects the privacy of your introverted seniors. It is also important to select an aged care Gold Coast facility that allows them to stay in their own rooms rather than share the room with someone else.
2. Avoid Interrupting. It is important that the staff will let them finish their tasks before interrupting them. They might be absorbed in their own thoughts and in what they are currently doing. Interrupting them may disrupt their concentration and will frustrate or anger them more.
3. Provide Advance Notice. They are not the type of people who can easily jump at the first sight of adventure. If the staff at the Gold Coast aged care facility wants to change their routine, they should give introverted seniors time to adjust and process the information on their own.
4. Keep Things Private. If the staff need to reprimand them, remind them to keep it private. It will greatly affect your introverted seniors if they are embarrassed in public. So it is best that the staff should keep sensitive conversations privately to avoid embarrassing your senior loved ones.
5. Never Force Them. They are not the type who can easily make friends with others. The staff that offers aging care Gold Coast wide should be careful not to force your loved ones to make friends as it will only put them under unnecessary stress.
The above are just a few tips on caring for introverted seniors. When selecting a facility to provide them with aged care in Gold Coast, make sure to do thorough research. You cannot just entrust them in the hands of people who will not try their best to understand your ageing seniors. Although other senior residents may enjoy parties, your introverted seniors may find it very tiring to be around people constantly. Make sure that the facility understands the need for space and tailor-fit group activities that your introverted seniors will appreciate and enjoy.